Monday 14 April 2014

Via Airmail

I went to a baby shower yesterday, and just managed to get this quilt finished in time. Less than an hour before it started, I was still hand-stitching the binding, and after a speedy photo-shoot I had Simon removing the pins holding it to the board while I got changed.


The mother-to-be is my cousin Julie, and both she and her husband are pilots. So my inspiration was planes, and the paper plane image was taken directly from their very aeronautically-inspired wedding (they even had miniature paper planes as confetti!).


My initial design thoughts were for an ombre background, but then I remembered my selection of Vicki Welsh hand-dyed gradients, and spent a lovely few hours with may of them strewn across my table, selecting the best colours. The only way I can bring myself to cut into these fabrics is by making them a feature of the quilt, which partially explains the simple piecing.


However, I did add some detail in the quilting. Five smaller, quilted planes are hidden among the swirls:


If you look really closely in the photo above, there's a join in the binding. Not only does it add the appropriate feel of an airmail letter, but the diagonal stripe is perfectly-angled for joining the binding strips, as well as the mitred corners.


The heart contrail detail was also inspired by the decorative lighting at their engagement party. It's all quilted using glossy Glide thread; in a selection of colours to blend with the background (except the contrasting hot-pink heart). This thread just purrs through my sewing machine, and I used matching BottomLine thread in the bobbin.


It's always lovely when a quilt is so well received. Here (with permission) is Julie's surprise at  discovering the details in the quilt, and I've been promised a quilt of the baby doing the same when she arrives.


The post "Via Airmail" was posted on www.sampaguitaquilts.blogspot.com on 14/4/04.

9 comments:

Quiltin Jenny said...

This is amazing! I love the details, the fabrics, the quilting...you are just incredible!

What a lucky, lucky baby and parents.

happydaysquilting said...

What a beautiful gift :)

Unknown said...

Love this so creative and very pretty! Very good job. Not just a baby quilt but wall art too!

Schulz Family said...

that is so awesome. Fantastic keeping in theme with their wedding too.

Milly said...

Beautiful as usual Emma

Vonna said...

I adore the look on her face. That is a look of pure joy and awe. Great job as always.

Ryoko said...

Love The Hidden Airplanes.So Wonderful To Have Such A Gorgeous Quilt Do Made Personally For you.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh Emma! You continue to amazing me with your gorgeous quilting - quiltmaking! This is just charming, and too perfect for the couple. The look on the mom-to-be's face is simply priceless. I would imagine that even though she's thrilled to bits to have it, she doesn't comprehend the full value of it. You do stunning work, and this is just another one of your great accomplishments. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Carmen said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! WOW!! I love the fabrics you've used and your quilting detail is beautiful and so appropriate!