Sunday 1 December 2013

Melted Icecream

Melted Icecream is an appropriate name for this quilt which is scheduled to post while I'm out at a family picnic on a hot day for the start of summer!


I made Melted Icecream as a quick summer project for Australian Patchwork and Quilting, and it's the cover quilt on the new issue, Vol 23 No 3.


I chose to use the beautiful roll of 2.5in pastel batik strips I won in a blog giveaway some time ago (shown below with the backing and the subtle snowflake I used as a background). And apart from the border, all the background is 2.5in strips, too. Select 24 coloured strips, and the parts of the strips that aren't used in the blocks are used to make the binding - very economical!


It comes together really quickly, especially if you use pre-cut strips, and is nice and easy, and there are no seams to match within the blocks!


The blocks are actually square - and simple as they look, it took me a while to draft them just how I wanted. As I was piecing them, it made me think of going around the corner to the deli for an ice cream as a child. The local deli closed just after we bought our house - pre-children - but not far away there's a lovely café near our local playground, so James and Eleanor get ice creams from there.


Yet again I quilted this with my favourite open feather pattern. My excuse is that a quick summer quilt needs quick quilting! I chose a glossy pale yellow Glide thread, which adds a nice sheen.


Starting in 2 weeks, I have a month off work over Christmas and New Year and am planning lots of activities and relaxing with the children - and lots of quilting for all of us. But I'm hoping (weather-wise) for a short summer and a speedy return to the current, balmy days.

4 comments:

Diane E W said...

How can we get the pattern in the United States? Never seen the magazine in the States

Oops-Lah said...

Must get my hands on the mag! Fantastic quilting as usual.

Anonymous said...

Melted ice cream is very cute. Congrats on the quilt being featured on the cover of a magazine.

Zurn said...

I love what you did with the batik roll. So glad you put it to good use. It's lovely! Congrats on getting on the cover of the magazine, as well :)