Friday 6 July 2012

Winter Baubles in AP&Q

My wholecloth Winter Baubles quilt is in the new issue of Australian Patchwork & Quilting (Vol 21 No 8).


All the colour comes from the quilting threads and the very dense quilting.



I used mostly Superior threads; the silver is Glitter, and one of the variegated threads is Rainbows. They're all high-sheen, and 40wt.





This is my favourite bauble; it makes me think of a minaret:


Each bauble is dimensional, due to the double trapunto method I used.




I tried to use as many different quilting filler patterns as I could, although some worked so well that I couldn't resist using them several times!





I also quilted around a couple of the baubles in silver thread:


I also added a few small clear and aqua swarovski hotfix crystals:


This link takes you to my January 2012 archive, which includes several posts showing some of the progress on this quilt.

There are full instructions in the magazine; you could make your own in whatever colour you choose; how about red and green for Christmas, hot pink, or even the whole rainbow! Hmm, how about a rainbow-shaped bauble, quilted in colours ot match? Maybe with clouds and raindrops....

At the back of the magazine is also a sneak peek at the quilt I have in the next issue, called Sheets & Spinnakers. I made it for Simon, and I think he'll be glad when it returns, so he can actually use it!

25 comments:

May Britt said...

So beautiful. But I do not think I could manage to do such lovely quilting :)

Kirsty said...

Just one word Stunning, absolutely Stunning Emma

Milly said...

Ummmmmmm I am completely lost for words! This is quilt is so beautiful. It is just really stunning. Well done Emma.

Pip said...

It's beautiful, must have taken you quite some time to quilt. Love the fabric you have used for the binding really picks up the thread colours.

Ulla said...

Amazing, beautiful, lovely.

karen said...

what a beautiful quilt! nice nice job!

Kirsten said...

Wow! This is beautiful! I love the colors and your quilting is really amazing!

Siri Tullerusk said...

I am speechless - this is beautiful!

TLC said...

OMG!!!! My DH just heard me scream that when I opened your blog. Your work is amazing!!!

Lynn said...

Fantastic!!!

Houseelf said...

Beautiful work. In the bif picture I thought it was applique. Then in the close ups I saw that each bauble was embroidery! Amazing. The textures really make it work.

M-R Charbonneau said...

WOW, it's absolutely gorgeous, Emma! I have to try this! Awesome!

Cathy Hetzel said...

your quilt is just beautiful.....

Shontelle said...

Congratulations on another gorgeous quilt. Are you going to enter it in the AMQA show at the AMQF festival? You should!

Frances Arnold said...

I love non-traditional wholecloth quilts and yours is amazing. Congrats!!!

Lynette said...

This is really neat! I just love your use of metallic threads and crystals. Gorgeous effect.

Hanne said...

Lovely quilt :-)

FlourishingPalms said...

Seriously, Emma! This is a wow quilt. Your quilting is stunning and the design itself is a show-stopper. You do awesome work! Excellent!

Marilyn and her sidekick Brad said...

I have never seen anything like this before - I am simply entranced by your talent.

Denise :) said...

I'm not sure how I found my way here ... Pinterest or blog/link hopping, but I had to take a moment to tell you how beautiful this is -- simply stunning!! :)

Carol Esch said...

I do ALOT of doodling...........and have pieced several doodle quilts.......

Just took a class with Michele Hill here in New Jersey.....you have wonderful company there in Adelaide. She borrowed my machine......which was not running up to speed! Anyway, she was delightful!!!!!

and I LOVE your work!

Heather said...

very lovely. Will have to see if I can find a copy of this issue locally.

battynurse said...

I came across a picture of this on Pinterest and I have to say this quilt is absolutely stunning.

battynurse said...

I came across a picture of this on Pinterest and I have to say this quilt is absolutely stunning.

Jacqueline Bahí said...

Gran trabajo. ¡Felicidades!