Saturday 19 January 2013

A Gaggle of Goslings

This quilt is my latest to be published in Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine (Vol 22 No 3; out now).

 
I had the idea in my head, but it turned out much easier to design and to piece than I'd expected. Well, apart from the fact that when you look at the quilt, you really only see the coloured triangles, and don't quite realise how quickly the background ones add up; there were exactly 1000 pieces in the quilt top!


It's made by alternating two flying geese-based blocks (hence the name) which flow into each other. Although I designed the blocks myself and named them, I expect they're not completely original - it's a simple enough variation on flying geese.

Gander block

Gosling block


I really like the way the two blocks work together to create continuous movement and new patterns.


I chose to quilt this simply with an open, freehand meandering feather. As well as being quick and fun to quilt, it's very flexible - allowing me to quilt around any intersections where there were lots of layers of seams. I also really like the way it looks.


Full instructions can be found from page 74. I'd love to see if you have a go at making your own version of this quilt!

10 comments:

Lynn said...

When I first looked at the quilt I thought it was pieced from rectangles not squares. I could see it pieced with one row of geese (light to dark) on either side of a long white rectangle then pieced together alternating them vertically then horizontally. Of course you probably would have to make half blocks for the edges to make the design come out though.

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's fabulous, Emma! I love the colour progressions from green to blue.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I really like flying geese, and this quilt is fabulous.

Funky's Mama said...

I love this! What a gorgeous design, and the color gradations are perfect with it!

FlourishingPalms said...

Gorgeous! I'm looking for some of those emerald colors of fabric, so I can make something to salute the 2013 Pantone color of the year, Emerald. Your quilt looks very near it!

Frances Arnold said...

Wonderful quilt.....love the color progressions!!

AJ said...

I think this is one I could make!

Grit said...

Wow, so fantastic .
Liebe Grüße Grit

Unknown said...

Love this! May have to have a go at it.

Zizophora said...

This is fabulous! Love the design and the blue-green, although it would look great in any color progression. Lynn, I too, thought it was pieced in rectangles at first glance.