Tuesday 18 October 2011

Maple Syrup

I finished this quilt quite a while ago, and just hadn't got around to sharing it. But it's more interesting than a picture of me writing quilt instructions, so I'm sharing it tonight. It'll be a gift for another one of James and Eleanor's kindergarten teachers (that's 2 quilts down, one to go, before the end of term), and as she's heading to Canada for a teacher exchange next year, I brainstormed a suitable name.


I used strips from a batik jellyroll and/or Bali-pop for the Palm blocks, and used narrow sashing between the blocks using the same fabric as the block backgrounds.


I showed some of the quilting months ago when I started doing it; I used a tessellating feathery pattern which utilised the open spaces, rather than sticking to the square blocks.


This quilt has a lovely, cosy feel to it, and I hope it gets plenty of use - I picture it wrapped around someone on a sofa, reading a book in front of a fire while it's snowing outside (you know, just to match the snowflake background fabric!).


Now I need to focus on the third quilt; I'd been planning something in deep reds, but Eleanor informs me that purple and orange are the colours of choice. If I decide to trust a 4-year-old, I'll probably go with purples!


Now, back to writing instructions and hand-stitching labels onto quilts - I'm hoping to post five quilts to various destinations tomorrow.

5 comments:

M-R Charbonneau said...

Emma, this is beautiful! I'm sure the teacher will love it and the cherish it, especially during our cold winter nights. Great name, and not just because I'm partial to Canadian things. :)

Amy said...

Fab-u-lous! So pretty in the fall colors.

FlourishingPalms said...

As always, your quilting is stunning. I remember when you were foundation paper piecing the palm block, and now I'm remembering I'd like to make a quilt like this for myself! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. (I want to be James' and Eleanors' kindie teacher!)

Lynette said...

So, sooo very pretty. How gorgeous for this time of year especially

Joan said...

What a beautiful quilt Emma - and lovely quilting :)