I decided to fill the land part of this quilt with irregular lengths of nested Cs between wavy lines. I chose to separate them more by quilting three sets of wavy lines together, deliberately varying the gap between them. I'm using a taupe-coloured BottomLine thread top and bottom; it blends quite well with all the fabrics. It shows on the navy batik backing, but not as starkly as it appears in the photos.
To give you an idea of scale, the Cs are 1/2 to 3/4in apart; the photo below shows an area about 10in wide.
This works quite nicely around the quilted wildlife, and gives a nice land effect and good texture. I didn't want anything too fussy, since much of it isn't obvious among all the prints (hence the photo fro the back) and there's a lot of space to cover! The Cs aren't all the same, and they're not identically-spaced - I didn't bother trying; the natural variation gives it a more organic look.
This somewhat ugly creature is an Eastern Water Dragon - he was fun to quilt! I used a variegated brown/tan King Tut; the outline and some of the other lines (where necessary for continuous quilting) are quilted twice for definition.