I finished the border quilting and going around the appliques, and was ready to start on the grass section of the background. I ruled out my earlier ideas on how to quilt it, but instead of procrastinating longer, I decided to just start. I chose the thread which matched best and made a quick decision to do swirls, but as I was lowering the needle to start, I realised it wouldn't fit neatly into some fo the spaces, and would work better on the sky area. So I changed my mind, settled on large-scale McTavishing (with the lines a genersous 1/2in apart) and got going. The grass is now about half done, and I'm happy with it.
I've had a very unproductive weekend, but with any luck, I'll get the background to this done tomorrow afternoon and evening, and maybe even bind it in time to photograph on Tuesday.