I've largely finished the beach quilt (I'm really just waiting for the binding fabric which I ordered, but the fabric is long out of print and the only place I could find it was at a shop I've not used before, and they've not responded to any of my emails, so I can't be sure I'm even going to get it! Has anyone used a shop called Granny Goose?).
So I moved onto another commission I had waiting, and which I knew I oculd put together fairly quickly. The design is based on (and very similar to) a quilt I made about 8 or 9 years ago. The mother wanted a weighted quilt, which can be soothing for childrem with sensory issues, but didn't like what was generally available to go with the celestial themed room she's doing. She saw my earlier quilt, and asked whether this was something I could do. I did a bit of research and considering how best to make it. I ordered some special poly pellets to add the weight; the nearly 3kg divided by the 63 sections worked out to 46g - which is what I was weighing here:
The top layout was 14x18 squares cut at 3in, to finish at 2.5in. I added some extra layers to give it extra durability, then quilted around three edges, and vertically from bottom to top between every second column, giving me 7 channels. I then measured out 7 lots of 46g of pellets (hence the 7 cups), poured one cup into each column, shook it down thoroughly, pinned to help keep the pellets from my sewing line, then carefully quilt across the 2nd and 3rd rows. Each pocket is 2x2 squares, and measures 5in square. 46g is plenty for a pocket that size. As I worked up the quilt it got seriously heavy (for comparison, a regular quilt of this size weighs around half a kilogram - 1/6 of this one) and unweildy.