Wednesday, 19 January 2011
Baby quilt with a difference
My second finish for the year didn't require much more work than the first - just half an hour of quilting and the binding!
My cousin came across the skulls fabric while she was pregnant and loved it, so I spent a while chasing it down (it's an Alexander henry print from 2004 - I nearly typed 1994! - and pretty scarce now). Then I spent ages playing with designs - and I confess this fabric really challenged me - but ultimately it needed to be simple, because any fancy piecing would be lost the bold fabric design, so it came together pretty quickly.
It's quilted in the ditch around the border and between the blocks, then I marked and FMQed a large swirl in each block, using white thread in the blocks framed with white and black for those framed in black. The swirl design works diagonally across the block from corner to corner, which meant I could quilt it in diagonal strips.
Now here's where I say my piece. I don't actually like this quilt, and I don't really consider it suitable for a baby. But I hope it will make a new mother very happy, and that's important. I really wanted to make her and her baby a quilt, and there's no point making something the recipient won't like. And I do like a challenge!