I've put the beach quilt aside for a few nights and have made a start on my DQS9 quilt. I cut a square of the background fabric and laid it out on the cutting mat. Then, with the design next to me, I used some coloured thread to decide which ribbons whould be lime and which raspberry, and marked this on the sketch.
I cut the shapes from the rest of the fusible web and seprated those going on the lime form those going on the raspberry fabric. Then I realised I'd forgotten to mirror my design before transferring it to the fusible web! So after having been so careful to draw on the correct side of the backing, I went and remarked the ribbons on the other side. This meant the fusible layer moved a bit more on the removable backing than it should, but ultimately didn't matter.
After pressing the fusible web to the fabrics along the bias (to give them flexibility for even curves) and cutting them out (using the rotary cutter and ruler along the length to keep them nice and smooth, and sharp scissors on the curves) I removed the second backing and roughly laid them on the background. I adapted the design as I went, but followed roughly my guides for weaving them over and under each other.
Steam-a-seam 2 is supposed to be positionable without pressing and usually is, but it didn't work for me in this case - but I hadn't expected it to - partly because I was working with the other side, but mainly because I was pulling it quite hard to create the curves.
I'm thinking of adding a plain black layer of cotton homespun between the top and the batting to minimise any bearding. I'll applique before sandwiching.