Tuesday 25 August 2009

Velvet Bag

Inspired by Geta's beautiful quilted velvet bag, I had a go at one myself:
It's lined with fabric from Chez Moi's Posh range:
Here's the second side quilted with peacock feathers:
I used velvet left over from the Inchies quilt, but unfortunately I could only get cream velvet in stretch fabric, and despite using fusible batting I think that contributed to the quilting difficulties. This first side quilted in free-form feather plumes was done initially to test quilting on velvet before making the Inchies quilt:
The verdict: I did simple walking-stitch quilting on the quilt, because FMQ on this had even more skipped-stitches than usual (my machine's quirks remain unresolved) and shredding in the top thread (good quality stuff), though I really can't explain why.

But I do like my new bag! Very simple and no pattern required, just a little forward-thinking. Quilting on velvet can be very effective as Geta's work has shown, but if I do it again, I'll find some proper cotton velvet first.

3 comments:

Beena said...

The bag looks as good as any of Geta's bags! Nice job!

Eila said...

So beautiful bag!

laura west kong said...

What a lovely bag ... great quilting and such a fun lining! =(^_^)=