Thursday 30 July 2009

Traction

I'm trying out the gloves I've seen recommended on a few blogs recently; Ansell hyflex from the supermarket. They're great, although with a lot of stopping and starting in this quilting design, they're not the easiest when snipping threads. But they are saving my hands, arms and shoulders a lot of strain; well worth a few dollars! This quilt is about 3/4 quilted and going well apart from some irritating stitch-skipping as I reverse back up the first plume of each feather. And yes, I have a fresh topstitch needle, and just cleaned out the bobbin area.

4 comments:

Beena said...

I use the "Machingers" gloves, and can still thread a needle wearing them but get lots of traction. You can get them through eQuilter.com. I would never try to quilt on a domestic machine again without them. And where I live in Florida and it gets so hot here, I'm glad they are really light.
You're off to a great start quilting this!

Helen said...

Love the gloves Em! Great for quilting and keeps your hands warm!

Fabric Fanatic said...

You know, my Pfaff did that too....I got it serviced, changed needles, cleaned out the bobbin area and still. I think it's one of the downsides that you learn to live with.

Juni said...

Sexy gloves.. hehe.. just letting you know I've been keeping up on your wonderful quilting work.. hoping to chuck up some photos of Jem sometime soon. BTW, did you get my last email? I hope you know we received the quilt!