Monday 25 August 2008

Potato follow-up and a finished quilt

It seems that the eardrops have worked, and James' ear is free of potato. Thank goodness! For now he is quite certain that potato belongs in one's mouth and that it is not a good idea to try it in his ears, so let's hope that's the end of that trick! Oh, and in case you're like everyone I've spoken to and want to know, it was neither mashed potato nor chips, but roast potato!!!
I finished An Early Snowfall watching the final late night of Olympic events. But I'm not sure how I feel about it. I love the fabrics, but somhow it's missing the zing I like to see in my quilts.
This quilt includes a few firsts, or things I haven't done much before;
A flange narrow border, which looks pretty cool (and worked well thanks to some insightful questioning from a visiting friend - Thanks Tracey!) even though it's not completely even;
some quilting done with embroidery stitches, with contrast thread back and front;
And some more raw-edge applique snowflakes.
We're due to go and visit the recipient on Friday and hand it over, and I confess I'm rather looking forward to newborn cuddles again!

4 comments:

Leah said...

Lovely piecing, and your embroidered quilting looks great. A lovely quilt, but I don't know why it doesn't sizzle....

Louise said...

It looks great Emma, it is perfect for a newborn with those colours, aren't they supposed to see those ones the best?

The flange looks fab, I didn't realise it actually had a name when I did it on my quilt! It makes a nice border doesn't it?

Amazing work as always!

Austysmum said...

WOW Emma! This is AMAZING! Definitely has "zing" and I think one of your best little quilts. Such intricate piecing and detail. I just love it!

Gina said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Love and hugs Gina xxx